Monday, May 5, 2008

"Redefining Movement" 5/4/08




Well folks, here are the photos as promised. An undulating sculpture ala Calder. The installation went well and although not sparkly, loud, messy or otherwise obtrusive, I believe it achieved the goal of demonstrating an undulating movement during our final show (Redefining Movement- A Sculptural Experience, May 4 2008).

We'll see how it does academically. Just as a review here is the Final Assignment instructions (click to read the instructions) . Please scroll down through the blog and compare the video "Learning to Dolphin Kick" with the images that I have here. As an object of assistance, the approach I ultimately took is to teach the first step of visualization. That is to say, to visualize a wave-like movement, which the body can replicate. I would really like to get some input back on what people think about this project. For the time being this is my conceptual, Zen statement on learning the movement of the dolphin kick.

3 comments:

jc359 said...

I like the way the curved wall accentuates the mobiles undulations. I also like the how the ribs envoke the image of a wave above the "dolphin". Great job.

Anonymous said...

I noticed this piece in Harder and spent a good long time looking at it, and I didn't even realize it was yours! I love the simplicity of it and the very soft movements. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

You didn't happen to take any video of the sculpture in movement did you? That might be a nice addition to this blog.