Sunday, May 4, 2008

Final Sculpture Project

I will post some pictures of the final project a bit later. At least it is finished and installed, after three failed attemps/design revisions.

The final project is about designing something to enhance or inhibit a movement which we described in an earlier project. My movement was learning how to dolphin kick. I wrote a brief decription with instructions on how to accomplish this swim stroke. The first step to learning this movement, however, begins by envisioning an undulating ripple or wave. Then you have to apply the idea of that motion to moving your body in a similar fashion underwater.

In an effort to help the viewer understand this rippling motion I have created a mobile which undulates from side to side. By standing below it and watching the movement of its nine rectangular, vertically hung panels, the viewer gets a sense of how the body must move horizontally through the water. The spaces between each panel represent each of the major joints involved in accomplishing this movement (wrist, elbow, shoulder, lower back, hips, knees and ankles).

Originally the sculpture was going to involve many components ala Ned Kahn's designs. Due to a challenge with the US Postal system, I didn't receive the holographic sequins in time to complete the sculpture as originally intended, so I tried it with just its hardware cloth form but it wouldn't move becuase there wasn't enough surface area to catch an aircurrents. Then, there were issues with hanging/balance. So I got a shimmering antique silver(more of a taupe) ripstop nylon cloth and made covers for each of the panels and switched all the mechanics to black.

The completed sculpture is hanging in the foyer to Harder Hall just above the main doors. It is by far and away one of the most simple and yet elegant things I have made in a while. No flash, no sparkle, just a gentle, undulating mobile; an undulating reminder to help the curious move more naturally through the water, just like a dolphin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jonathan,
I love the design and shape and I totally get what you are trying to do with this. I just wish I could be there in person to stand beneath it and see it move. I'm not so wild about the ripstop fabric (which I know was not your original choice). It looks messy which takes away from the smooth free-flowing movement you've achieved with the design. Love what you are doing. Keep up the good work.
Betty Garrett