Monday, April 28, 2008

Final Sculpture Challenges

Although I have not heard back from Ned Kuhn Studios, I have been searching the internet for an alternative to his metal plates to create my final sulptural piece. I have only found one company which makes the shimmering effect used on large billboards and signs. Reflecto-lite is located in Canada and they haven't been answering their phones since last week. They seem to be the only source for the shimmering discs. Their system, however costs $20.40 per square foot; that's before shipping. Ok back to the drawing board.

The other challenge I am facing, besides time, is weight. If the mobile piece I am trying to create is life size (this would be ideal) there is a logistical nightmare in trying to rig (suspend) the work if I am dealing in wood and metal. There has to be another way to create this piece.

No comments: