Thursday, April 3, 2008

When I think about a common movement made every day, I think about writing, manipulating a pen, pencil; even painting is very gestural. What fascinates me about this concept is that when you take it apart piece by piece, you come to realize that working with your mark making implement, you are transferring an abstract concept between the mark maker and the viewer. I believe this is extremely true in the case of small children or people just learning to paint, because they tend to make a mark which describes what they "think" rather than what they "see".

Much later as these skills develop the words/images become clarity with practice and maturity. Therefor you can imagine my surprise when I came across Paya, a 6 year old elephant in a Northern Thailand elephant village who paints. Pachiderms are believed to be on par with primates regarding intelligence. Her painting, however, crosses so many bridges and tells us there is so much waiting for us to see in the animal kingdom that our humanity has overlooked in the past.

This story becomes yet another fascet of my idea of human and animal blending...only here the elephant is creating images which her human audience can cleary understand and enjoy

3 comments:

Alicia Eggert said...

Oh my god! That video is CRAZY!

Jonathan said...

Definitey makes you have to reconsider your ideas of artistic intelligence, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

That is insane. I find myself sitting here in disbelief. I believe higher mammals especially, like elephants, dolphins, pigs, primates, and pet animals like dogs and cats and also some very exceptional avian species (one type of crow actually innovates tools for unique applications) can develop intelligence and personality far beyond what we typically grant them. Even though I express this belief often and hold it dear, I still found myself waiting for some kind of trick to be exposed in this video... I'm just flabbergasted! I mean, I don't even know if it would be possible to train an animal to do this, so I think there is a high probability that this is the real deal, but its just amazing.