Friday, April 18, 2008

TGIF? & Frustrated Librarians


Once upon a time, we used to say, "Thank God its Friday." Unfortunately, that seems so meaningless at the moment. I have too many projects happening at once and I don't like the quality of any of them. I need more hours in the day, days in the week or fewer projects.

A note of particular frustration: In pursuit of the therianthrope issue, looking through the journal listings with the assistance of one of the reference librarians, I found that worldwide there are less than 30 published articles on this topic. Of those, 24 of them are focused on prehistoric rock art in either Africa or Spain. I put out what seemed to be the best 7 requests for inter-library loans/access and all but two were denied as the information is unavailable or no longer exists in a format which can be shared.

What puzzles me about this, is that none of these resources address the half human/half animal(beast,monster,non-human) art and sculpture from the Grecian era through the 19th century. This widespread hole tells me that A) I must be using the wrong term yet again for searching or B)perhaps no one has really done a concentrated, cohesive study of the particular subject and I really might have a basis for developing a foundation for my MFA thesis. Ok, I know I dreaming big here, but why not. I know that I have frustrated the reference librarians with this search, why not keep it up?

No comments: